1. Financial Planning is a lot like golf. You can make it so complicated as to be impossible or you can simply walk up and hit the ball. I've been helping and advising clients for almost 20 years and my advice is to walk up and hit the ball.
2. Financial planning is about people and it's about problem solving. It is not about newer technology, hot stock tips, financial products or legislation. It's about people and it's about solving problems.
3. People engage you as an adviser for 4 things and 4 things only. Ever. Those 4 things are to have more time, more money, richer experiences, and approval/peace of mind. If you try to change them with your advice about something other than those 4 things you and they will fail.
4. People buy aspirin (pain relief) always. They buy vitamins (to be better) only occasionally and at unpredictable times. Sell aspirin (relief to your client’s pain).
5. Being valuable and useful is all you ever need to do to be valuable in the eyes of others. Help people out. Send interesting posts. Write birthday cards. Record videos sharing your ideas for growing their business. Introduce people who would benefit from knowing each other, then get out of the way, expecting nothing in return. Do this consistently and authentically and the people you want as your clients will find ways to be your clients. I promise.
6. No one cares about your work load, your increased costs, increased compliance, and your competitors undermining your value, etc. No one. They care about the problem you are solving for them."
7. There is no lack of clients stopping you from creating your ideal business and life. Add value to your clients, price yourself fairly (win/win), and deliver on your promises to you clients.
Your clients choose you because they believe in you! Prove them right!
If you are stuck in a funk or you’re lost in a cloud of complexity feel free to contact me. Most often in life we just need someone to talk things through and to lighten our load a little. The following article may also be of help.
This post was written by Peter Horsfield, as such they are his personal views. Peter helps you to focus on what’s most important, the right strategies at the right time. To learn more about How to become Financially Independent visit Peter Horsfield Smart Advice
About Peter Horsfield
Peter Horsfield in an Authorised Representative and Investsure Holdings Pty Ltd ABN 16 050 286 630 as trustee for Horsfield Family Trust ABN 55 609 068 513 is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Infocus Securities Australia Pty Ltd ABN 47 097 797 049 AFSL and Australian Credit Licence No. 236523.